Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Chaos caused by school

Each day Witchlet and Goobie-kins come home with homework .. for Witchlet it is a lot and for Goobie, he just has trouble sitting and focusing once his ADHD meds wear off, which is about the time he leaves school. This means I can be spending even as much as 5 or 6 hours helping kids with homework while trying to get dinner done and take care of Butterfly.

So today I did something that I am sure someone will say is irresponsible .. the kids came home and I asked to see the homework. Then ... I sent them outside to play!!! I decided we will work on homework later. Seriously kids NEED to play. This isn't just a want for them, but it is necessary for good health and in my opinion it makes them more able to learn. If they do not get finished, oh well. It makes very little sense for a child to go to school 6 hours and then do homework for 6 hours.

4 comments:

fluffyslippers said...

ITA angel~my kids don't have as much homework yet but i am of the same opinion..they just sat at school listening to that crap for hour after hour, get home and get out a bit!

i hope that different routine works better for all 3 of you!
hugs!!!
susan

my life said...

i read somewhere recently(maybe on MSN) on how a mother with an ADHD son would sit down to do homework and if he was to antsy pantsy she would send him out to run laps around the house.. it kept her sane and the son was able to run off some energy and then could focus again.. it was neccassary!!
Kudos for you letting your kids be kids!

Flower said...

I am a teacher and I have to tell you that you did the right thing. Sometimes kids just need to let off steam too. All work and no play is not healthy for anyone. I hope HW was a breeze after that.

3LittleFlowers said...

Get this... My 5 year old gets homework Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday PLUS all the work that she supposely refused to do during class!! Sometimes she has 3 or 4 things to do in the same day... I do them when we can.. But I dont stress and I dont let her stress either... She only complains about how tired she is when I ask her again to hold a pencil!!

BTW, stop by my blog... I have a giveaway this week.....