Saturday, August 2, 2008

The present my husband did not know he gave me

Yesterday was my birthday and it got off to a pretty rough start. Things did get better as the day went on. My husband got me some books as I really like to read. One of the books is "I was a really Good Mom before I had Kids" and I have already finished reading this book. Let me tell you, this gift was more than a book. Reading this book may have been one of the best things I ever did .. for me! In reading it, I learned how unnecessary a lot of my stress is and how much of it I put on myself. Of course it wont mean an instant transformation to a low stress life as a mom. I have to reprogram myself .. but it has made me realize that doing things for me, saying no, and not doing everything for everyone does NOT equate to me being a bad mom, bad wife, and overall failure. Lately I have felt so stressed. I have this list of everything that needs done and I put the responsibility on me to make sure it all does, but it never all gets done and then I feel guilty. I feel guilty for taking the time to post to my momma groups .. I am in 2. I still do it, but everytime I am left feeling guilty. Why should I? Those wonderful women, along with a few other friends and some family members are my support system. When I am reaching a breaking point I can always count on one of them to make me feel better. I have decided I will never feel bad again for taking the time for those friendships. They are so worth it.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I used to feel guilty for not cleaning the house daily but I got over it when I realized how much Mia loved it when I played with her.

Brooke McIntire said...

We do love reading your posts, too Angel :) And you're right, it's VERY important to ALWAYS take some time for yourself. Even if it's 5 minutes to paint your fingernails. You'll lose yourself in all the daily chaos of SAHMhood if you don't :) And you'll be much more grateful for your chaotic life if you do :) HUGSSSSSS